Journal Publishing and Hosting Policies
Iowa State University Digital Press's journal publishing and hosting services are available to Iowa State University faculty, staff, campus units, student organizations, and scholarly and professional organizations. The disciplinary focus of the journal must be reflected in Iowa State University's curricular and research offerings.
Student organizations interested in utlizing the Digital Press's journal publishing services must identify a faculty adviser and be either sponsored by a campus unit or recognized by the Student Activities Center.
Scholarly and professional organizations who wish to utilize the Digital Press's journal publishing or hosting services must identify a faculty or staff member who can sponsor the journal and serve as a liaison between the press and the organization during journal set up and launch. The disciplinary scope of the organization must be reflected in Iowa State's research or curricular offerings.
Once a journal begins using the Iowa State University Digital Press's publishing and hosting services, it can continue to utilize these services to maintain continuity.
Tools, Services, and Responsibilities
The Iowa State University Digital Press provides journal publishing and hosting services on Bepress's Digital Commons platform. Tools and services provided by the Iowa State University Digital Press and/or Bepress:
- A custom-designed site. Sites may be redesigned at no additional cost every year
- The Iowa State University Digital Press wordmark must appear in the site's sidebar, and the Digital Commons logo will appear in the site footer
- Software to manage editorial and peer-review workflows and to host and distribute the journal via the Digital Commons platform
- Training and technical support for utilizing the Digital Commons platform
- Detailed readership statistics for journal editors and authors
- Registering ISSN and DOIs for the journal and its articles
- Assistance with marketing and indexing in relevent disciplinary databases
- Information and advice on copyright and licensing
Optional services provided by the Iowa State University Digital Press include:
- Digitization and hosting of journal back issues
- Access management for subscription-based journals (scholarly and professional organization-sponsored journals only)
Journal editor(s) are responsible for:
- Establishing editorial, authorship, and copyright policies
- Establishing review policies and procedures
- Journal administration and management, including submissions and peer review
- Ensuring reference lists include DOIs for citations of journal articles, when available
- Copyediting, proofreading, typesetting, and layout
- Ensuring the continuity and sustainability of the journal
Copyright and Open Access
The Iowa State University Digital Press strives to increase access to the scholarly record through the publication of Open Access journals.
Journals published on behalf of Iowa State faculty, staff, campus units, and student organizations must be fully Open Access. Journals published or hosted on behalf of scholarly or professional organizations must be Open Access, but may utilize a moving wall on a case-by-case basis. With a moving wall, access to new articles may be limited to members and subscribers for a period of no more than two years, after which, articles will be made publicly accessible.
Copyright in journals published on behalf of Iowa State faculty, staff, campus units, and student organizations is held by Iowa State University. Copyright in journals published on behalf of scholarly or professional organizations will be held by the organization. Copyright in individual articles will remain with the author(s). The Iowa State University Digital Press strongly encourages publishing under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY) or Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License (CC-BY-NC) to maximize the distribution and reuse of articles.
Costs and Fees
There are currently no costs and fees for using Iowa State University Digital Press's journal publishing or hosting services. Journals published through the Iowa State University Digital Press should not charge authors any publication fees.
In addition to publishing and/or hosting current and new issues of journals, the Iowa State University Digital Press can digitize and host back issues of existing journals. A timeframe for the digtiization and upload of back issues will need to be negotiated and will be dependent on the availability of resources. If there is a significant amount to add, funding may be requested to support the hiring of student assistants who can assist with the processing and upload of back issues.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Iowa State University Digital Press is committed to increasing the diversity of voices that are represented in the scholarly record. We welcome journals that seek to publish articles from students, emerging scholars, authors from underrepresented groups, in languages other than English, and voices from outside academia. We strongly encourage journal editors to build editorial boards and peer reviewer pools that are inclusive of a diversity of identities, geographies, perspectives, and lived experiences appropriate to the scope of the journal.